Message from British Cycling
In light of new national measures being introduced, as of midnight tonight all British Cycling activities and events in England will be temporarily suspended. The suspension will last until Thursday 3 December. Please note that these dates are subject to change depending on how the situation develops in the coming weeks.
In recent days we have been working – along with colleagues from other sports – to try to secure exemptions for certain activities, as we are acutely aware of the critical physical and mental wellbeing benefits which they provide during these challenging times. Unfortunately we have today received confirmation that there will be no exemptions for any activities, and updated guidance can be found below.
We’d like to say a huge thank you for the manner in which you have adapted to the changing guidance throughout this year and continued to offer safe and welcoming opportunities for people to ride or race. While this setback is disappointing for all of us, we are well prepared to resume our activities as soon as we are able and will provide further updates in the weeks ahead.
How can I continue to ride?
Under the new restrictions cycling and being active is still strongly encouraged, but there are a number of rules which we must all follow:
- Only ride alone, with those in your household/support bubble, or with one person from another household. If you are riding with a person from another household, you must only ever ride as a pair. For example, two riders from the same household cannot ride in a group of three with a person from another household, unless all are part of the same support bubble.
- Stay two metres apart from anybody not from your household/support bubble.
- If you are experiencing any coronavirus symptoms, are self-isolating, are sharing a household /support bubble with somebody with symptoms, or have been told to self-isolate after being contacted by NHS Test and Trace, you should stay at home.
- There are no restrictions on how far or how often you can ride, however we recommend that you stay within your ability level and prepare accordingly, especially if you are riding alone.
- For essential journeys, the Government is encouraging people to cycle or walk where possible.
Information for event organisers and officials
Events on our system which are scheduled to take place from November 5th – December 2nd will be cancelled by our Events team, and this will appear on your organiser dashboard. Please note that this does not automatically notify the entrants for your event, so you will need to get in contact with them directly.
More information on registration fees, refunds and insurance can be found on our website here.
Over recent months we’ve received some fantastic feedback on the events that have been able to take place, which is testament to the hard work which has gone on behind the scenes from our organisers and officials to adhere to our The Way Forward framework. If you have any feedback on the events which you have delivered or officiated at, we’d love you to get in touch.
Information for Clubs
Throughout the pandemic it’s been brilliant to see clubs find new ways to engage their members, support their local communities and adapt to the changes in guidance which have been introduced.
Given the work that so many of you have put in to deliver club activities safely this new suspension will come as a great disappointment, and we are continuing our efforts to encourage the Government to reintroduce group activities at the earliest opportunity.
However, during this period of new restrictions it’s vital that we all do our bit to ensure that cyclists adhere to the new regulations and help us to make the case for reintroducing group rides as soon as possible. We’re asking all Clubs to remind their members of the new rules, and if you have any questions on this you can contact our team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks for taking the time to read through our updated guidance. Any future changes which impact your role will be communicated to you directly by email, and we’d also encourage you to stay up to date through our social media channels and website FAQs page, which can be found below.